The Eastern Mausoleum
The Eastern Mausoleum (the St. Nicholas Church) was built of white stone after oriental mediaeval Muslim shrines with the projecting portal: the durbe mausoleums. It was erected in the 30s of the 14th century. The inner premise has a semi-spherical vault. On perimeter of the walls, in certain places, the clay resonator vessels were built in. The entrance section with the added portal niche faces the south. The rectangular shape of the building passes smoothly to the octagonal one owing to chamfers. Well-preserved is the semi-spherical cupola made of tufaceous bricks. In its spatial structure, the Eastern Mausoleum is close to Middle-Asian mausoleums, while in the material of the masonwork, technique and shapes of its elements it is close to mausoleums of the Transcaucasia and the Crimea. In 1712 - 1735, at the time when the Uspensky (Assumption) Monastery was located in the territory of the Bolgar site, the Eastern Mausoleum was reconstructed ad transformed into an orthodox temple. The monument was studied through archaeological excavations in 1964 – 1966 and in 1991. Cleared here were the remains of seven wooden and stone burial vaults of the Golden Horde period. Some of them contained the remains of the buried people. The restoration work was done in 1967 – 1968. In 2011 – 2012, the urgent repair and rescue work was done to shore the foundation of the mausoleum with the arrangement of the roundabout gallery. Also done was the work for the treatment of the inner and outer walls with special solutions, and the impregnation of the foundation. The facility was turned into a museum: a multi-media exposition was organised.
Last updated: Apr, 04, 2013, 17:23